Thursday, February 21, 2008

Winter remains, knitting proceeds


The View from our breezeway.
Somehow, even snow doesn't make campus pretty. I like to learn when I knit, I like to challenge myself. I like to knit things that look difficult, even to other knitters. I have never done real colorwork, I have made stripes, and I have put some very tight lumpy bands on baby hats, but never anything I'd be proud to say I did.
It was time to learn. So I cast on Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts and then I cast on again, and again, over and over. First time I hadn't read the instructions for the Italian Tubular Cast on enough, then after trying that a few times, I cast on with my normal cast on, which I promptly cast on the wrong number. Finally I got the ITC right, and figured out that I had the wrong number again. Eventually I managed to get that right enough I'm not casting on again. All this and I'm not even to the bleeding colorwork yet.
When the time came to begin the pattern I sorted out the first row, started the second, then ripped out, then started on the first, then knit the second, then took out and re-did the second 2 more times. I've gotten 2 pattern repeats done now, and there are mistakes, but I find I don't mind them so much.

My knitting in the snow, because I'm cheesy like that.
My uneven, but improving colorwork

1 comment:

Brian Fields said...

YAY! One more step to my socks!